2020-2021 OSDU Registration Information
We have received several very valid questions over the summer as to if and how OSDU plans to operate this year, if membership will be collected, and what the format of events might look like. To summarize – yes, OSDU will be operating debate tournaments and workshops this year through an online platform, and registration is now open!
How do I register?
Please fill in the registration form at the link below for your member school (adult representatives are to fill in the form). OSDU will reach out within 24-48 hours to provide an invoice for further payment of the registration fee.
Registration Link: https://forms.gle/k11dvN5GA8n2ipWn9
What is the cost to register?
Due to the online nature of all events this year, OSDU registration will be a one-time fee of $50 per member school. OSDU plans to offer the majority of its events at no additional charge this year, or at a significantly reduced cost where required.
Who can be a member?
Registration policies this year will remain consistent in that only member schools are able to join OSDU, not individual students, and each school must have an adult representative to connect with the OSDU Board, and chaperone as needed. Generally, the OSDU Board prefers that adult contacts are teachers affiliated with the school.
If you are an independent debate program, please note that registration must be accepted by the OSDU Board based on a series of criteria, including that competing students do not attend an OSDU-member school, that teams of two debaters are part of the same school, and that all team caps are respected. OSDU will review your application, and you must have approval from the OSDU Board to participate before students can compete to ensure that all policies are being followed. If there are concerns with the registration of your member school, please reach out to the OSDU Board directly.
What will my school’s registration fee get me?
Registration for OSDU this year will grant members access to the following events:
• A series of free online workshops tailored to coaches, new debaters, online tournament hosts, and experienced debaters (to begin late September – early October, 2020 and carry on regularly throughout the school year)
• Access to the Ontario British Parliamentary Championships (to take place online at the end of October, 2020)
• Access to Regional qualifier events (to take place later November – mid December, 2020)
• Access to the Junior and Senior Provincial Championships, to take place online in Late February – Early March, 2021)
• The ability to qualify from these events to National British Parliamentary, Junior, Senior, and French Nationals, to be offered online in Spring 2021
Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to Nicole Ratti at email@example.com directly and we look forward to welcoming you and your students back to debate in the coming months!
Deadline: Friday, November 20, 2020
Registration fees paid after November 20th, 2020 will not be accepted. The only exception to this will be for schools only intending to participate in the Junior Provincial championships (middle schools, for example). For these schools, registration will close on February 1st, 2021. For all other schools intending to compete in senior tournaments, no exceptions will be made to the November 20th deadline. Please note that payment instructions will be emailed to you within 24 hours of submitting the online registration form.
Why join OSDU?
OSDU is the only province-wide, bilingual debating organization dedicated to increasing participation and achievement in high school debate. We run our own tournaments but also act as a hub for all debating activity in Ontario. By joining OSDU, your school can:
- Attend all regional tournaments sponsored by OSDU and try to qualify for the annual Provincial Championship. The Provincial Championship is the only tournament that guarantees representation from every debating region in the province and combines a weekend of organized activities with competitive debate. The top teams at the Provincial Championship go on to compete at the National Championship.
- Compete for the chance to represent Ontario at competitive national events, such as the Oxford Cup and the Team Canada Tryout.
- Participate in the Junior Provincial Championship, which offers a chance for debaters in Grades 6-9 to learn debate and get a head start on high school competition. The top debaters at the Junior Championship go on to the National Seminar, a week-long social and educational experience for students across Canada.
- Participate in French and bilingual debating, which is not offered by any other organization.
- Access workshops, materials, and the support of our dedicated Board of Directors and regional coordinators.
- Support a registered charity that is dedicated exclusively to the promotion of debate.
- OSDU tries to make debating as accessible as possible to all interested students. We encompass all schools and school boards, from private and public to French and Catholic, and coordinate with other debating organizations and clubs to share information and maximize the opportunity for student debate.
Where does the registration fee go?
Because OSDU is a not-for-profit organization run entirely by volunteers, membership fees are essential for supporting our basic operating costs. Your nominal registration fee helps to pay for our Board of Directors meetings and the travel of OSDU volunteers to and from tournaments. Individual tournaments still charge small team fees to cover the costs of food and supplies used at the tournament. Collecting our membership fees every fall ensures that we can plan for an exciting year of debate.