2018-2019 OSDU Registration Information
- Prior to November 1st, 2018: $115.00
- Prior to November 15th, 2018: $125.00
Registration fees paid after November 15th, 2018 will not be accepted. The only exception to this will be for schools only intending to participate in the Junior Provincial championships (middle schools, for example). For these schools, registration will close on February 1st, 2018. For all other schools intending to compete in senior tournaments, no exceptions will be made to the November 15th deadline. Please note that payment instructions will be emailed to you within 24 hours of submitting the online registration form.
Why Join OSDU?
OSDU is the only province-wide, bilingual debating organization dedicated to increasing participation and achievement in high school debate. We run our own tournaments but also act as a hub for all debating activity in Ontario. By joining OSDU, your school can:
- Attend all regional tournaments sponsored by OSDU and try to qualify for the annual Provincial Championship. The Provincial Championship is the only tournament that guarantees representation from every debating region in the province and combines a weekend of organized activities with competitive debate. The top teams at the Provincial Championship go on to compete at the National Championship.
- Compete for the chance to represent Ontario at competitive national events, such as the Oxford Cup and the Team Canada Tryout.
- Participate in the Junior Provincial Championship, which offers a chance for debaters in Grades 6-9 to learn debate and get a head start on high school competition. The top debaters at the Junior Championship go on to the National Seminar, a week-long social and educational experience for students across Canada.
- Participate in French and bilingual debating, which is not offered by any other organization.
- Access workshops, materials, and the support of our dedicated Board of Directors and regional coordinators.
- Support a registered charity that is dedicated exclusively to the promotion of debate.
- OSDU tries to make debating as accessible as possible to all interested students. We encompass all schools and school boards, from private and public to French and Catholic, and coordinate with other debating organizations and clubs to share information and maximize the opportunity for student debate.
Where does the registration fee go?
Because OSDU is a not-for-profit organization run entirely by volunteers, membership fees are essential for supporting our basic operating costs. Your nominal registration fee helps to pay for our Board of Directors meetings and the travel of OSDU volunteers to and from tournaments. Individual tournaments still charge small team fees to cover the costs of food and supplies used at the tournament. Collecting our membership fees every fall ensures that we can plan for an exciting year of debate.