OSDU membership registration for the 2018-2019 year is now open for Ontario schools and debate programs. Coaches may complete the registration process online through the following link:
(Payment instructions will be emailed to you within 24 hours of submitting the online registration form.)
Please note that OSDU member registration fees must be paid in full as per the following schedule to be considered to be an OSDU member in good standing eligible to have students compete at any OSDU event during the 2018-2019 year:
- Paid prior to November 1st, 2018: $115.00 member registration
- Paid between November 1st to 15th, 2018: $125.00 member registration
- Registration paid after November 15, 2018 will not be accepted
School/debate program OSDU Membership’s will be marked as not being in good standing for the 2018-2019 year and any funds returned if member registration is not paid in full by Nov 15, 2018.
Schools only intending to compete in the OSDU Junior Provincial Championships (Grades 7-9) may submit their $125.00 membership OSDU registration fee no later than February 1, 2019.
Failure to register for OSDU and maintain good standing will result in all teams from the school/debate program being removed from competition at OSDU tournaments (workshops excluded).
Why is OSDU’s registration fee higher than last year?
In the interest of transparency, you may have noticed that the registration fee for OSDU member schools this year has been increased to $115.00 if paid before November 1st. You may be wondering why registration fees were increased compared to last year. OSDU registration fees have been maintained at the same cost for more than 10 years, however the OSDU board has found that the cost of hosting events, maintaining our technology platforms and travel have increased significantly over the past few years.
In order to ensure that OSDU can operate efficiently and best serve your needs, a slight increase in registration fees was deemed necessary this year to account for this increase in operating costs. We apologize for any difficultly this may cause, but have made every effort to keep registration fees as low as reasonably possible, and will make every effort to hold registration fees in the coming years.
What does my OSDU registration get me?
When you register your school with the Ontario Student Debating Union, you will be receiving several key benefits:
- Ability to participate in all OSDU tournaments including the National Seminar, Oxford Cup Qualifier, Regionals, Junior Provincials, Senior Provincials, and Senior Nationals, and the Team Canada debate tryouts.
- Access to OSDU training resources including starting a club, running a tournament, and debating basics.
- Communication from the OSDU Board regarding upcoming tournaments, workshops, and other debating events in Canada that you may be interested in.
- Regional workshops and training events put on by your Regional Coordinator
What OSDU Events can I expect this year?
We are expecting a full slate of events this year! OSDU will be venturing to host the following, with approximate timelines for coaches to take note of. More information regarding the location, host, and invitation to these events will come 1-2 months prior to the event:
- OSDU Toronto Workshop – French and English workshop, Fall, 2018 (details to come)
- OSDU Ottawa Workshop – Fall, 2018 (details to come)
- OSDU York and Peel Workshop – Fall, 2018 (details to come)
- OSDU Halton Workshop – Fall, 2018 (details to come)
- OSDU British Parliamentary (formerly Oxford Cup) Qualifier – October 27-28, Toronto French School
- Regional Qualifiers – December, 2018, one event per region will take place (total of 7 events)
- Junior Provincial Championships – Late February, 2017
- Senior Provincial Championships – February 22-24, 2019 (Ottawa, Ontario)